What do we offer?
Speaking topics suitable for:
- Seniors' groups
- Men's fellowships
- Missions' conferences
- Service clubs
- Why not publish your own book?
This workshop will help you to avoid the common mistakes made by people who self-publish
their own books. Those mistakes include:
1. Being unaware that authors, not bookstores, sell books.
2. Failure to get your manuscript edited.
3. Paying far too much to get your book printed.
4. Failure to develop a marketing program.
5. Printing far too many copies.
6. Failure to get an ISBN number.
7. Failure to develop a professional-looking cover.
Typical time for this session: 50 to 90 minutes.
- Writing newspaper columns
One of the most demanding areas of professional writing is becoming a columnist. This workshop
will help you answer the following questions:
1. Do I have reason to write?
2. How do I break into the system?
3. Where do the ideas come from?
4. What writing style should I use?
5. How can I keep it interesting?
6. How do I syndicate?
Typical time for this session: 90 minutes.
- Writing other people's stories
Writing other peoples stories can bring great satisfaction to an author. But you better get it
right! Ray shares some lessons learned writing three biographies, one autobiography, and a
number of profiles. In this workshop, he will help you to:
1. Get the facts straight by studying their culture or background, interviewing in depth, and
visiting or researching their environment.
2. Tell the story with your target reader or readers in mind--not the main subjects or their
3. Make their story live by choosing an appropriate writing style.
Seminar length: 50 to 90 minutes.
- Editing your own stuff
Editors often reject manuscripts that require excessive editing.
You can overcome that hurdle by applying basic editing techniques
to your own material. This session will start you on the way to
making improvements in your manuscripts that should soften the
hearts of the most exacting editors. We will ask participants to bring to the seminar
two or three paragraphs of their own unedited or "raw" manuscript. Ray can adjust
this material to fill time slots from 90 minutes to four hours.
- Understand the principles of communication
In this extended seminar, Ray shares the basic principles of communication and applies them
to the decision-making process. Learn how to marry the communication media to the goal
of the message. Based on Ray's own experience in the media and cross-cultural communications, and learned
from great teachers and practitioners of the art, such as: Drs. D.K. Smith, Anand Chaudhari,
Chris Marantika, and Paul Chang. Seminar length: 90 minutes to four hours.
What participants have said about Ray's seminars:
- I spend much of my working day writing. I can face this task
with an optimistic attitude now that I have the tools to write
more effectively. P.Z.K.
- Truly excellent! J.M.
- The instructor knows his stuff. This class was helpful. R.V.
- Very good practical info; I liked the class group work. P.K.
- Very good and helpful. A.H.H.
- Wonderful! He provided opportunities for us to do a
presentation. Great! A.B.
- Excellent pointers. F.M.W.